When your hair is lifeless, frizzy and dull, it’s almost certainly dry because it hasn’t received enough moisture. This can be caused by a number of reasons including if you live in a hot, dry climate, if you spend lots of time in the sun, if you frequently swim in chlorinated water, if you wash your hair too often or if you frequently use heating products to style your hair.
So if you think your hair is in need of some nurturing, check out these handy tips to get your hair back on track, looking sleek and nourished.
- Don’t shampoo every day, in fact a couple of times a week at the most is more than enough. Shampooing too often will strip the oils and nutrients from your hair, leaving it feeling dry.
- Always condition after a shampoo, especially the ends which are prone to splitting and once a week treat your hair to a deep conditioning treatment that can replenish the moisture and seal the cuticles.
- Always use a heat protecting product before you straighten or curl your hair. Something like Moroccanoil can protect your hair from the intense heat, reducing the risk of split ends.
- If you don’t have to straighten your hair every day, don’t. If you’re a regular user of heating irons then you’ve probably been unfortunate enough to burn yourself at least once, so you’ll know how hot the iron can get. If it’s burning your skin then just imagine the damage it’s doing to your hair.
- Invest in a high quality hair brush with natural boar bristles which are gentle on the hair and help to smooth the cuticles. Look for brushes with thicker and stiffer boar bristles for the best quality.
- Have your hair trimmed regularly to get rid of any split ends and to stimulate the growth of healthy hair.
- Make sure you drink plenty of water to keep your hair hydrated and strong and ensure that you aren’t skipping protein filled foods which will enrich the quality of your hair. Foods such as fish, eggs, fruit and vegetables are best for keeping your hair healthy.
Image via topfashionz.com
Hair oils are all the rage at the moment and it’s no surprise really because they can do wonders for your hair. Hair oils replace the moisture that your hair loses when you wash and style it and they also make your hair more manageable. They can reduce static, restore shine and protect your hair from heated hair tools. Using just a few small drops every day can make an incredible improvement on the quality of your hair so if you haven’t tried it before, give it a go. I can almost guarantee you’ll wished you had tried it a lot earlier.
Here are 3 of the best hair oils on the market:
Ojon rare blend oil
Ojon Rare Blend Oil is a blend of many different oils including Kukui, Tahitian and Ojon oils which create a potent and effective nourishing treatment for your hair when mixed together. The oils settle in the bottle in three different layers – red, clear and amber but when combined they give your hair instant shine, they repair your hair from heat damage and they take away that annoying frizz. Ojon Rare Blend Oil is packed full of powerful antioxidants, proteins and minerals but the best thing about this oil is you only need one drop before you start noticing results.
This is one of the most well-known hair oils on the market and is used by many top stylists. The award-winning formula is used for styling, conditioning, finishing and it speeds up the drying time of your hair. Moroccan oil contains antioxidants for protection, fatty acids, omega-3 oils and vitamins for shine as well as protein for strength. It absorbs quickly into your hair and if you find the formula is too heavy, try Moroccanoil Treatment Light.
Redken all soft argan-6 oil
Argan oil is produced from the kernels of the Argan tree and is where Redken All Soft Argan oil is derived from. This oil is enriched with omega-6 fatty acids which intensely nourish dry hair whilst protecting it from heat and environmental damage. It can be used a number of ways – before a shampoo to moisturise, before you blow dry to protect, after your blow dry to smooth, when you style to increase shine, as a treatment booster to enhance softness and as an overnight treatment to deeply recondition.
Image source: beaut.ie, folica.com, ry.com.au, listprive.com