Bring some festivity to your fingertips.
Get ready to fall in love with these fingertips.
That’s certainly one way to get a green thumb!
You’ll never have to go to a salon again.
While everyone else might be focusing on the hair and beauty trends from Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Australia, we have recently come to appreciate the beauty of nail trends.
We’re going to take you through some of the biggest shows of fashion week to reveal just which of the nail trends will be big during the summer.
Since OPI was the official nail partner for Maticevski SS 2015 runway show, you can guarantee that the colours looked amazing.
There were two main looks that went down the runway: Soft pastels and dark gunmetals. Glitter polishes were added over the top as a feature, and the looks were finished off with OPI Rapid Dry Top Coat before strutting it down the runway.
Where: Daniel Avakian
For Daniel Avakian’s return to the runway, a stunning neutral manicure and pedicure was prepared for all models backstage. Karon McKendrick Taylor for FABY Australia kept nails looking round and trimmed, which worked perfectly to complement the clothing and open-toed sandals for spring.
Shades of Pink
Kym Ellery’s collection was the first show to open MBFWA at Carriageworks, and was inspired by women from post-impressionist paintings. Melisa Giraldo worked together with OPI to create a look which suited the entire collection.
A clean base was achieved with the OPI Clean Ridge Filler, then two coats of the OPI Put It In Neutral, and finally a sheer-pink beige from the new OPI SoftShades Collection.
A classic topcoat of OPI Rapid Dry Top Coat was applied to give a glossy sheen.
Where: Jennifer Kate
For her debut show at MBFWA, Jennifer Kate tried a fresh look for the models walking down the runway. FABY Australia created a stunning white nail, which is perfect on all skin tones and ideal all-year round. A matte top coat was applied over the top to give nails a lived-in look.
Images via Lucas Dawson
The big chill’s coming, baby, and with it a plethora of fab, new autumn/winter beauty products to love, on-counter now. It’s time to embrace your dark side with sexy, new, heavier fragrances and makeup in these gorgeous, darker hues. You’ll also need some TLC in the colder weather, so it’s an ideal time to invest in some lush body-care products. These are a few of my favourite things!
Go for gold: Soccer star and doting dad, David Beckham, has never looked hotter. His secret? It’s allegedly Instinct Gold Edition, which was recently launched to celebrate 10 years of the sexy men’s fragrance. This limited-edition fragrance is said to capture “the elegance, style and modern masculinity that is synonymous with David himself,” according to the PR, so you might want to get it for your man, girlfriend!
The new fragrance is a classic fougère, blending an instant flash of freshness with a vibrant heart. Dynamic and masculine, Instinct Gold Edition has an invigorating blend of lemon and bergamot oil. David Beckham Instinct Gold Edition Eau de Toilette, 50ml, is $39 at leading department stores.
Pure velvet: Rimmel has launched a new era of matte colour with the launch of Apocalips Matte Lip Velvet and Velvet Matte Nail Collection. This means ‘the London look’ just got sassier. The Apocalips Matte Lip Velvet, $15.95, has a new, mousse-like texture which is said to quickly set to a unique velvety matte finish with a flattering soft-focus effect. It comes in a powerful palette of four volcanic shades from rose through to a zesty orange.
Meanwhile, the Velvet Matte Nail Collection, $8.95, has some of the most opulent jewel shades of the season. I love them! These fashion-forward nails are the business, ladies – no top coat needed. Choose from slate grey, purply red, dark cobalt or inky black. Put it in your diary, ladies: these babies will be on-counter from March.
Killer moves: There’s not a pop star alive, at the top of her game, who doesn’t have her own fragrance. So, try Killer Queen’s Spring Reign by Katy Perry for something different this autumn. The fourth fragrance to join Katy Perry’s royal fragrance family, Spring Reign is a fresh and fruity floral featuring notes of pink freesia, may flower rose and violet petals. Housed in a pretty jewel-shaped bottle, Katy Perry Killer Queen’s Spring Reign Eau de Parfum, 100ml, is available for $69.
Flower power: Waterlily Skin Body Spa, a new, luxury skin and body-care brand formulated with the purest botanical ingredients, will help save your skin this autumn. The Waterlily collection features a vast selection of daily cleansers, hydrating toners, smoothing exfoliants, rich mineral masques, performance serums, moisturisers, eye treatments and lip and blemish repair, all formulated with the highest quality aromaceutical essential oils and exotic infusions.
My top pick is the Pink Frangipani Collection, which has lashings of exotic frangipani absolute coupled with neroli blossom and sweet orange rind to promote beautifully rejuvenated skin. The Pink Frangipani Collection Body Wash is $37; Body polish is $50.50; Infused Salt Glow is $59; Body Balm is $53; and the Pink Frangipani and Pineapple Hand & Body Créme is $49.50.
The NYC nail trends forecast for 2015 is hot, hot, hot! In the lead-up to New York Fashion Week 2015, from February 12-19, celebrity nail artists have been hard at work backstage fine-tuning their handiwork on the plethora of new nail trends for 2015.
Here, Nicole Lee, co-founder of NYC-based cosmetic brand LAQA & Co. Cosmetics gives SHESAID readers the low-down on what varnishes we need to buy now to stay on-trend.
“This year we’ll be seeing sweet pastels, metallic hues, clean whites and the new favourite, negative space: graphic polish designs that show a little bit of naked nail,” Nicole says. “We’ve also seen huge requests for subtle spring sparkles, a classic white with a touch of gold.”
Top 3 hot US nail brands you need now:
- Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics: Created with the editorial manicurist in mind, the NYC brand’s Nail Lacquer range is densely pigmented, quick-drying and super long-lasting. The result is lots of colour using very little product, for nails that are camera-ready just moments after application. Best of all, the OCC range is 100 per cent vegan and cruelty free.
Top picks include Pool Boy, $24, an opaque turquoise, which is akin to a summer holiday in a bottle. Cheaper than a plane ticket, spoil yourself with this adventurous blue!Next up, Black Metal Dahlia, $24, is perfect for a powerful handshake. This red demands attention and is pretty, deep and long-lasting.
- Lime Crime: Founded by make-up renegades from Los Angeles, Lime Crime is committed to producing the most kick-arse, true-to-colour, cruelty-free and vegan cosmetics possible.
Top picks include Milky Ways, $15, a glam, creamy, vanilla splash of white. This is effortless chic for off-duty glam.
Next up, Parfait Day, $15, is a delicious candy-sweet pink akin to a strawberry milkshake. This baby is perfect with the “bambi eyes” trend and a nude lip.
- LAQA & Co.: This NYC-based cosmetic brand aims to deliver convenient products with an effortless, professional result. Packaged in unique artwork by young, emerging artists, these babies are precious, little pieces of art with a percentage of every product purchased contributed towards the artists themselves to further their potential.Top picks include the Gold Fleck + Pink Manicure Duo, $22, a double-ended polish pen with random-cut gold fleck. Simply brush over touch-dry nails for the latest nail trend. Love!Next up, check out pretty melon shade Tweedledee Nail Polish, $18, an awesome shade perfect for pool parties, cocktail hour and the list goes on.Finally, the fabulously named, Ankle Biter Nail Polish, $18, (pictured) is worthy of attention for its divine, rose-gold hue.
All nail brands are available for sale at Lulu and Lipstick via www.luluandlipstick.com.
The ombré trend has proven to be so popular since nails, lips and clothes have even caught onto the trend. If you’re not aware of this wildly popular option, colour usually fades from darker to lighter tones. Although ombré nails might take a bit of practice, they are definitely achievable if you want to create them yourself at home.
What you need:
Two nail polishes (these colours can be similar, or bold for a clash)
1. Start off by washing hands and filing down any unruly nails. Avoid using any moisturisers or serums since this could interfere with the colour. Then paint your nails with the lightest colour, and wait for it to dry completely. This could take anywhere from 5-10 minutes depending on how thick the coat was.
2. On a flat surface, add a few drops of both colours right next to each other. Don’t allow them to completely combine, but make sure they’re touching.
3. Take a toothpick and swirl the two colours together. Confine this just to the area where they meet, since this will determine the ombré colour.
4. Now take the sponge and dab it down onto the polish.
5. Dab the sponge right into the nail – this will create the subtle ombré effect.
6. Remove any excess polish on the finger or cuticle immediately, then just wait until the colour dries before painting a topcoat.
Image via Glamour, Novapopp