Finding the perfect hairstyle for your face is all about accentuating your best features and bringing your face to life but if you don’t know what shape your face is then that could be the reason why you may have been choosing hairstyles that aren’t flattering your features.
So here are some tips for finding your face shape and the hairstyles that suit best:
Oval face shapes:
- The length of your face is equal to one and a half times the width
- Your forehead and jaw are the same width
- For shoulder length hair try a centre part, but to avoid looking too severe try adding some soft waves
- Bangs across the brow line can break up the length of your face
- Hairstyles swept from the side also work well with oval shaped faces
Round face shapes:
- Your face is circular in shape
- The length of your face is approximately the same as the width
- Side swept bangs make the face appear longer
- A long collarbone skimming bob makes the face appear slimmer and try adding some curls at the bottom to add angles and break up the chin area
Heart face shapes:
- Your forehead and cheekbones will be wide
- Your jawline will be narrow and your chin comes to point
- Try a collarbone length cut with side sweeping bangs that will take the attention away from the chin and narrow your forehead
- Shoulder length loose waves soften angles on the bottom of your face
Square face shapes:
- Your forehead is broad
- Your jaw is angular and is almost as wide as your cheekbones
- Side swept bangs that graze the brow along with shoulder length layers disguise the angular jaw
- If you have a fringe ensure that the sides are longer than the middle of the fringe to avoid your face looking even more angular
Diamond face shapes:
- Your hairline is narrow
- Starting just below your ears, your jawline comes to a point at your chin
- Plenty of layers will keep your face looking open
- Hairstyles with the hair pulled back off the face are best to avoid your face looking narrow
Image sources: collider.com, imageserver.moviepilot.com, beautyeditoroncall.com, fashionshowon.com, images.fanpop.com, justgirlsknow.com
Looking to change up your hairstyle this season? If you’re staring at a lovely oval face in the mirror, consider yourself lucky! Oval faces can get away with just about any look; extremely versatile and always stunning. Depending on your hairstyle of preference, you can wear a fringe, layers, and waves to play up and draw attention to your most striking features like lips, eyes, and strong cheek bones. Get inspired with these celebrity hairstyles and start having more fun with your oval visage ASAP.
1. Tyra Banks: The Slicked-Back Showstopper
If there’s one thing world famous former super model and America’s Next Top Model host and creator is known for, it’s drama. And lots of it! Her over-the-top personality and unpredictability extend all the way to the tips of her tresses. With her hair drawn back tight into a sleek, low bun she exudes red carpet-worthy glam and brings all the attention to her face (what else is new?!) Not every face shape can pull off a style that puts every facial feature and contour directly in the spotlight, but that’s the perk of being an oval-faced beauty. A little smizing (smiling with your eyes) doesn’t hurt either!
2. Liv Tyler: The Fringe-y Flirt
While actress and model Liv Tyler’s father rocks out on stage, she’s doing a fine job rocking some fun and flirty fringe. Gentle, slightly curved fringe balances Liv’s longer visage and brings all the attention to her steel blue eyes. The overall style is playful, demure, and put together much like Liv’s personality. Avoid bangs that are too blunt as they may come off as severe and require a lot more maintenance to look perfect each and every day.
3. Kate Middleton: The Under-the-Sea Royalty
Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, wasn’t selected as one of The 100 Most Influential People in the World by Time magazine for nothing! A beauty in and out, she has been turning heads in the fashion world for years but her hairstyle is also making waves. Kate sports long chestnut tresses that have that just-back-from-the-beach appeal. The subtle, long layers prevent the style from coming off as dated or dowdy while her efforts to keep hair healthy really make those beachy waves shine.
4. Julianne Hough: The Shaggy Bob Sweetheart
Long or short, Julianne’s blond mane gets almost as much attention on the dance floor as her jaw-dropping moves. Most recently she’s brought even more attention to her delicate features and sugar-sweet pout by chopping off some serious inches. The result is a super fresh and modern bob which looks and actually is effortless! Simply scrunch wet hair as it air dries and find yourself with a cute and casual shaggy bob like Julianne. The light, baby chick blond hue also ups the charm factor and really makes this style pop.
5. Blake Lively: The Side-Swept Naturalist
Fashionista, actress, and model Blake Lively looks fun, fresh, and modern basically 24/7. It may have something to do with her luminous smile and free-spirited wardrobe but her hairstyle doesn’t hurt either. Daring and wavy or soft and straight, Blake commands a fair amount of camera time with her gentle side-swept bangs. Parted to the side instead of down the centre, the side-swept approach helps balance her features, bring attention to the eyes, and keep her looking effortlessly natural. Long layers and some subtle highlights add dimension and youth to Blake’s lovely look.