Save up so you can travel the world to eat ice-cream.
If you’re constantly on-the-go and can’t manage to prepare a healthy breakfast that doesn’t come in a plastic package, then this is something you’ll be interested in.
Create a healthy sandwich packed with sweet potato and kale, in a bed of wholemeal bread. Prepare it the night before, and leave it in the fridge until you’re ready to go!
1 sweet potato, peeled and sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and black pepper
1/2 small red onion, sliced
4 slices whole grain bread
6 ounces Harvarti cheese (optional)
2 kale leaves
1/2 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
Balsamic glaze or reduction (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF (200ºC) and line a tray with baking paper. In a small bowl, place the sweet potato slices and drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Toss well, then place onto the tray and cook for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Remove from the oven, and set aside.
- Caramelise the onion in a small saucepan over medium heat with some olive oil. Season with a pinch of salt, and stir occasionally until onions are medium brown.
- Toast the bread, and layer with cheese, sweet potatoes, kale, and caramelised onions. Sprinkle with fresh rosemary, and season with black pepper and salt to taste. Grill on a pan over medium heat if you prefer your toast with extra crunch!
Image and Recipe adapted via Two Peas and Their Pod
Why wait in line for your lunch when you could prepare a nutritious meal at home? Not only is a chicken pesto sandwich filled with essential protein to keep you full for longer, but can also be packed and prepared the night before. Follow the instructions below for the best sandwich ever!
2 cups shredded chicken breast
1/4 cup Greek yoghurt
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 baguette, cut into 3-4 equal pieces
2 cups arugula
2 roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
8 ounces mozzarella, sliced
1 cup fresh basil leaves
3 cloves garlic, peeled
3 tablespoons pine nuts
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup olive oil
- For the pesto, combine the basil, garlic, pine nuts and Parmesan cheese into a food processor and mix well. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper before adding a splash of olive oil until emulsified.
- Combine chicken strips, 1/2 cup pesto, Greek yoghurt, salt and pepper into a large bowl.
- Serve sandwiches on baguette bread with arugula, tomatoes and chicken pesto mixture.
Image and Recipe via Damn Delicious
The club sandwich would have to rank up there as the world’s greatest sandwich, with grilled chicken, crispy bacon, salad and zesty mustard dressing. What’s your favourite sandwich?
4 thin slices smoked bacon, cooked and crispy
2 firm ripe heirloom tomatoes, cored and chopped
1/2 head romaine lettuce, chopped (3 cups)
4 scallions, chopped
2 slices of PureBred White Farmhouse bread
2 grilled Chicken Breasts, cut lengthwise into thin slices
1. Crumble bacon. Combine tomatoes, lettuce and scallions together, add dressing and toss together.
2. Spread a little of the dressing on the bread toasted and place on bottom of serving plate. Top with dressed lettuce. Top with sliced chicken breast and crumbled bacon.
What’s your all-time favourite sandwich?