For anyone who has no idea what they’re doing with makeup.
We know what’s stopping you from achieving flawless skin.
Actress Ashley Benson was giving us serious hair envy when she was recently spotted at Justin Bieber’s Comedy Roast in Los Angeles. The actress wore a floor-length gown with diamond earrings and side-swept curls. Create this hairstyle in just 10 minutes with our easy tutorial below.
1. If hair has just been freshly washed and dried, apply a heat protectant to your ends. This will help to seal the hair follicle and will prevent any additional damage from the curling wand.
Redken Styling Duo Shield, $30.95
2. Divide hair into three sections (one at the back and two at the front). This will make it easier to curl the hair in a short amount of time. For short hair like Ashley’s, wrap the hair around the wand twice, hold for 7 seconds, then release. Shake the hair from side-to-side; this will increase the amount of volume.
Cloud Nine Curling Wand, $315
3. Repeat this step on your hair, leaving the fringe until last. Lower the heat on your curling wand and hold for 2-3 seconds. This will make the hair look more natural. Take a wide-tooth comb and carefully brush out the curls.
4. Spritz your roots with a touch of dry shampoo to give hair extra body and lift.
Nak Dry Clean Dry Shampoo, $19.95
Images via Zimbio
Natural-looking brows is something that all women aim to achieve and the feathering technique is just one way to get the look at home.
So if you’re lacking a few stray hairs, or require a little more texture in your brows, follow our easy tutorial below to achieve natural-looking eyebrows.
1. Wash your face with a mild cleanser, then lock-in moisture with a hydrating cream. If your brows have the tendency to feel a little dry (especially in winter), run the cream lightly through your brows.
Coast to Coast Skin Illuminating Cleansing Water, $24.95
2. Use a thin brow pencil and place it on the side of your nose. This is where your brows should begin to curve outwards. Extend the same brush outwards onto the very corner of your eyes; this is where your brows should end (at the very tip). Keep the guide below in a handy place if you every need to remember these tips for the future.
3. Pomades are ideal for creating natural, wispy-looking brows and they come in a variety of colours. Use an angled brow brush, and lightly dip it into the pomade. Less is more, and you can always layer on the product if it’s too light for your brows.
Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow Pomade, $26.70
4. Use short, fluid motions to feign the look of real brows. Start by filling in any gaps (this could be at the very tip of your brow) and work your way inwards making sure to use less product as you go.
Sigma e75 Angled Brow Pencil, $16
5. Carefully press the brush onto your skin and release so it won’t make a harsh mark on your skin. Brush through your brows to make them look more natural and don’t forget to set them with a clear brow gel. This will keep them in place all day and is also sweat-proof.
Essence Lash and Brow Gel, $4.10
Images via Kathleen Lights
Looking for a quick, heat-proof hairstyle for a summer party? Actress Emma Roberts was recently spotted with these stunning summer braids, which are perfect for keeping the frizz away and take just 5 minutes to prepare on medium-length hairstyles.
1. Use a conditioning treatment on the length of your hair, making sure to let it absorb for 5-10 minutes before washing out with lukewarm water. It will help to keep any excess frizz away – especially mixed with the summer heat!
KMS TameFrizz Conditioner, $28.95
2. Let your hair air-dry, then apply a hydrating serum on the outer layer.
Davines MELU Mellow Split Ends Repairing Sealing Serum, $36.95
3. Divide your hair into two sections, and comb out any knots or kinks. Separate your fringe or smaller layers and pin them to the side, then start a small braid from the top of your ear. Take the braid over your parting (just like a headband), then pin it down.
4. Repeat the same step on the other side, then set it all with a hairspray.
Joico K-Pak Protective Hairspray, $30.75
Images via Starity
Are you ever out of hairstyle options during the middle of the week? Try this easy slicked-back ponytail, inspired by actress Olivia Wilde at the Finding Neverland film premiere in New York City.
To help you create this look, we have named some of our favourite products and tips in the easy tutorial below. Enjoy!
1. A hairstyle like this actually works well on 1-2 day-old hair, since the oil will actually make it last longer. However, if your hair has been freshly washed, apply a mousse to the roots for a little extra texture and body.
John Frieda Luxurious Volume Building Mousse, $6.25
2. Once hair is completely dry, use a thick brush to hide any bumps or knots, then secure into a high ponytail. If your hair is on the thicker side, you may want to use another elastic over the top, just to keep it in place.
The Wet Brush Detangling Shower Brush, $19
3. If you do find any bumps throughout the top of the ponytail, carefully comb them backwards and apply a little hairspray over the top. This will keep them looking flat and discreet.
L’Oréal Elnett Satin Extra Strong Hold Hair Spray, $14.99
4. For the ends of your hair, use a shining serum to draw attention to the ponytail. Apply a few pumps in the palm of your hand and apply throughout the entire ponytail.
Kiehl’s Since 1851 Silk Groom Serum, $24.68
Image via Zimbio
If we could recreate just one makeup look every single day, it would have to be of actress Kirsten Dunst.
With skin that is always glowing, rosy cheeks, and glossy lips, this is definitely a quick and easy look which is perfect if you’re constantly on-the-go. Here are some quick tips on how to copy her (no-makeup) makeup look at home!
To keep skin feeling hydrated all day long, use a rich moisturiser which won’t cause dry patches or irritate the skin. Apply a pea-sized amount all of the face and neck, then wait for it to dry completely. This particular product is ideal for women who suffer from extremely dehydrated and sensitive skin.
Bioderma Hydrabio Rich Cream, $39.99
You can skip this step if your skin is mostly free from blemishes or simply doesn’t have a reddish undertone. If you have a few blemishes, use a lightweight powder foundation to even out your skin tone. Dust lightly with a powder brush over the face and neck, avoiding the eye area.
Laura Mercier Mineral Powder SPF15, $65
Create a subtle hint of colour on your cheeks by using a liquid blush. This not only settles well into the skin, but keeps your face looking natural and radiant. Most cheek tints can also be used on the lips, so don’t be afraid to use this in the centre of your lips if you’re on-the-go!
ModelCo Cheek & Lips, $24
For flirty lashes, skip the eye liner and use just a mascara to create the illusion of bigger eyes. Curl your lashes, then apply a thin coat of mascara onto both the top and bottom. Feel free to curl lashes once again once the mascara has dried.
It Cosmetics Hello Lashes Clinically Proven 5-in-1 Mascara, $24
Kirsten never wears anything too harsh on her lips, so something like a glossy lip tint is perfect for finishing this look. Choose coral shades if you have an olive-dark complexion, or pink/purple shades for a fair complexion. Most of these chubby sticks can also be used as a blush and eyeshadow as well!
Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturising Lip Colour Balm, $35
Image via Makeup
The Olsen twins are normally known for their quirky sense of style, and ability to wear almost anything and have it work for their tiny frames. This time, we’re looking towards Mary-Kate Olsen’s retro cat-eye which is a perfect makeup look for an evening out.
1. Prep the skin by using a lightweight primer and foundation. If you’re heading out at night, skip the SPF since it will cause a white cast to appear on your face. Buff the foundation well into your skin by using a damp cosmetic sponge.
Marc Jacobs Genius Gel Super-Charged Oil Free Foundation, $48
2. It’s time to conceal any blemishes and dark circles, so lightly dap the product with your fingers and blend it out. To contour under the eyes, use a concealer which is 1-2 shades lighter than your normal shade.
Clinique All About Eyes Concealer, $36
3. Prime the eyes by using a lightweight eye primer. Anything that is too heavy will make it a nightmare to keep your makeup in place.
Nars Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base, $34
4. Now it’s time to work on the eyeliner. Firstly, line the eye with a felt-tip liner since it’s the easiest tool for beginners.
For the flick, use an angled brush and dip lightly into a gel liner pot. Follow the line of of your bottom lashes, and carefully extend it outwards. Fix up any mistakes with a cotton tip dipped in makeup remover. It makes it so much easier to fix any un-even lines.
Kat Von D Tattoo Liner, $18
5. Fill in any gaps with a liquid liner since this formula is unlikely to wear away. Carefully dab over any parts of the eyes that need a little extra maintenance. Carry this in your handbag if you ever need to fix up your makeup throughout the evening.
Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Liner, $26
6. Apply a thin coat of mascara onto your lashes, or even use a pair of falsies to make the look more dramatic.
Kevyn Aucoin The Volume Mascara, $38
Image via Olsens Anonymous
There is no denying that singer and actress Selena Gomez, has some of the best locks in the business.
While we love her hair looking super-straight and sleek, there’s just something about a curly hairdo which is perfect for creating drama on sad, lifeless hair. Create this look at home by following our five simple steps below.
1. Start with hair that has been freshly washed and blow-dried, preferably using a volume-maximising shampoo and conditioner. Work the product into your scalp, and massage for a few minutes into the follicles of your hair.
Carolyn Harding Volume Maintenance Shampoo Wash, $13.99
2. When you’re just about finished in the shower, rinse hair one last time with cold water – this helps to keep hair shiny and frizz-free! While your hair is still wet, use a leave-in conditioner to control dry hair, and lock-in moisture without leaving hair too oily.
KMS California MOISTREPAIR leave-in conditioner, $31.95
3. To create Selena’s signature curls, use hot rollers or a curling wand. In this case, we suggest using a curling wand since it’s so much easier to use! Depending on how thick or thin you want your curls, choose a larger barrel for big curls, and a smaller barrel for tighter ones.
Grab small pieces of hair, curl from root to tip, and remember to style hair away from your face. This will ensure that your curls look natural rather than framing the face in an unflattering way.
John Frieda Curling Tong, $49.99
4. Spritz hair lightly with a heat protecting spray, and make sure to keep product away from the roots. Curl your hair working in sections, and start from top to bottom (this ensures that the curls on the top remain intact).
TRESemme Keratin Smooth Heat Protection Shine Spray, $8.04
5. Take small strands of hair from above the ears, and pin back to the sides to achieve this bombshell look. Make sure the pins are the same colour as your hair – this will disguise any hair faux-pas!
Lady Jayne Bobby Pins (Black), $2.99
Image via Celebzz
A French manicure is appropriate for an evening out, wedding or simply a low-key look to wear at the office. Why pay empty money on a salon treatment which will only end up chipping, anyway? With just a few simple products, you can recreate this look at home, but also add your own signature touch.
What you will need:
Nail polish A (for the tip)
Nail polish B for the rest of the nail
Clear nail polish
1. Wash your hands, and avoid using a moisturiser at this stage. The oil could make the nail bed very greasy, and will interfere with a flawless application. Instead, file down your nails and clip them to your desired length.
2. If this is your first time, use a sticker as a guide. This will help to create a perfect curve on the tip of the nail. Press down the sticker, leaving as much or as little room as you want to create. Then take nail polish A and completely paint over the area. Make sure the nail dries completely before peeling the sticker off. Repeat this step for each nail.
3. To make your nails dry faster, simply run them under cold water or fill a small bowl with ice water, and submerge your hands for a few seconds. Take nail polish B and paint the complete length of your nail. Allow it to dry before applying a top coat. To make your nails last longer, apply another coat of top coat.
Images via Instructables, Essie