To celebrate the release of The Detox Kitchen Bible, author Lily Simpson has shared her cajun chicken with avocado salad recipe with SHESAID. Wheat, dairy and refined sugar free – as with all the 200 recipes in the book – this particular dish is all about the rich spices and aromatic flavour.
“The chicken is perfectly balanced by the light, creamy avocado salad and sweet-spicy salsa made with mango,” says Lily. “This fruit is a source of the antioxidant beta-carotene, which among its many other benefits may help delay the onset of cognitive decline in older people.”
1 tbsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tsp crushed dried chilli
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp olive oil
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, about 150g each
A handful of fresh coriander
A handful of fresh mint
A handful of fresh parsley
1/4 red onion, roughly diced
1 tsp rapeseed oil
1 mango, diced
4 cherry tomatoes, diced
A handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1 fresh red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
Salt and pepper
- Mix together all the spices, garlic and oil with a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Add the chicken breasts and turn them so they are covered with the marinade.
- Set a ridged griddle/grill pan on a medium heat and leave to heat up.
- Meanwhile, one at a time, place the breasts on one half of a large sheet of clingfilm. Fold the clingfilm over so that the spices are sealed in and gently bash the breasts with a rolling pin to flatten them to about 1cm thick.
- Remove the clingfilm, then place the breasts on the griddle pan and cook for 6 minutes on each side.
- Make the salad whilst the chicken is cooking. Finely chop the spinach, coriander, mint, parsley and red onion and mix together with the oil in a large bowl. Peel the avocados and remove the stone, then dice the flesh. Add to the bowl and fold in gently. Season with salt and pepper.
- For the salsa, combine all the ingredients in another bowl. Use your hands to mix, squeezing the tomatoes to create a chunky, juicy salsa.
- Serve each chicken breast with a big helping of the spinach salad and the mango salsa.
The Detox Kitchen Bible is available at Dymocks.