The history of condoms

October 7, 2003

Condoms. Love them, or hate them, they are, for a lot of people, a fact of life.Let me tell you a story. Once upon a time, condoms were made of animal’s intestines. Eeew! And what’s more they were often re-used because people couldn’t afford a new one each time.

Thankfully, times changed… In particular, 1844 was a good year for lovers. This was the year that Goodyear (yes, the tyre people) developed a condom made from vulcanised rubber, a treated form of rubber which gave the old ‘rubbers’ their strong, elastic properties.

Happy days! But it wasn’t until the 1930s that the latex condom that we are so familiar with now came into popular use.

DUO Condoms recently conducted a survey to learn more about Aussies and the good old condom. We thought you’d be interested in the results.

It’s still a man’s world, with 67% of condoms being purchased by men. Sisters are doing it for themselves too, with 33% of us picking up a pack now and then.

And it’s interesting to note that 60% of all condom purchases happen in the supermarket! It makes sense really – some strawberries, whipped cream, chocolate sauce, tissues – and ah, yes, condoms! Makes for the perfect night in!

DUO have also revealed an interesting fact – 51% of condom buyers are aged 27-36 years with the remaining 49% from the 18-24 years age group. So, condoms aren’t necessarily used only by spotty adolescents!

But speaking of which, one in ten young, single males admit to purchasing condoms from ‘ready access’ venues like service stations, convenience stores and vending machines in toilets. Perhaps, like good little Boy Scouts, they like to Be Prepared?


Want More?

Have our best reads delivered straight to your inbox every week by subscribing to our newsletter.



You Said