The Only Rocky Road Recipe You’ll Ever Need
Your childhood fave has been reinvented.
I have fond memories of digging into mouthwatering slabs of rocky road as a child.
My mother hated the fact they were full of red candy, and the melted chocolate turned our hands into grubby mitts, but I didn’t care. They were rich in forbidden fruit and I couldn’t get them into me fast enough.
As an adult I continue to crave a good slice of rocky road from time to time, but now I know its contents aren’t going to do anything for my waistline or my health, it’s reserved as my guilty pleasure – that was, until now. This tropical twist on my childhood go-to has me heading straight for the kitchen to whip up a batch.
Made with wholesome coconut oil, crunchy macadamias and bursting with the taste of the tropics, you can overlook the fact it contains a generous helping of sugar. Seriously, just try and stop at one slice…
- 2 1/2 cups of white chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil, gently warmed
- 2/3 cup of white marshmallows, cut in half
- 1/2 cup of shaved coconut, plus extra for garnish
- 1/3 cup of candied papaya, roughly diced
- 2/3 cup of lemon Turkish delight, cut into coin-sized pieces
- 1/3 cup of red glacé cherries
- 1/2 cup of glacé pineapple, roughly diced
- 3/4 cup of salted toasted macadamia nuts
- 3 tablespoons of dried passionfruit powder
1. Prep a rectangular tray that’s roughly an inch deep with a spray of cooking oil, or line with baking paper.
2. Pour the chocolate into a large stainless steel bowl and place over a medium saucepan which has a cup of barely simmering water in it.
3. When two thirds of the chocolate has melted, stir and add the coconut oil. Be careful not to mix too much or overheat, as the chocolate will become grainy. Once the chocolate has melted all the way through, take the bowl off the heat.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, except for the passionfruit powder and a few cherries and marshmallows reserved for garnishing.
5. Pour the melted chocolate into the bowl of ingredients and fold through.
6. Stand for two minutes and then pour onto the prepared tray. Decorate with the extra cherries, marshmallows and coconut and sprinkle over the passionfruit powder.
7. Allow a couple of hours at room temperature to set properly. You can speed up the process by popping it into the fridge for half an hour, but don’t leave it in there any longer.
8. Lift the chocolate slab out of the tin and slice into pieces. Enjoy and store any remaining rocky road in an airtight container.