Wholemeal Vegetable and Pumpkin Seed Muffins Recipe
Most muffins are packed with fat, but this delicious savoury muffin recipe is low in fat and makes a great morning or afternoon snack. It’s also makes a great school lunch box snack idea for the kids.
Preparation Time: 15 mins. Cooking Time: 25 mins
Makes: 6 large muffins
1⁄2 cup pumpkin, roughly chopped in 1cm dices
1⁄2 cup zucchini, roughly chopped in 1cm dices
1⁄2 cup spring onions, sliced
1 large handful baby spinach leaves
1 cup skim milk
A pinch pepper to taste
2 cup wholemeal flour 1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Place pumpkin into a microwave-safe bowl, cover with water and cook in the microwave for 3 minutes or until slightly softened. Drain and add zucchini, spring onions and spinach.
2. Lightly beat eggs and milk, pour over the vegetables and season.
3. Sift flour and baking powder over the top and stir until just combined.
4. Spoon mixture into baking paper lined, non-stick muffin trays, sprinkling with pumpkin seeds, and bake for 25 minutes or until done.
5. Top with low fat cream cheese and serve.
Cooking tips: Also try adding crumble low fat fetta and chopped sundried tomatoes into the mix.
What are your favourite muffin flavours?