Each week, SHESAID is teaming up with some of the most influential and creative food bloggers to bring you a variety of healthy, nutritious and most importantly – delicious, recipes from the social sphere.
Banana bread is one of the many guilty pleasures most of us enjoy, however one slice generally comes packed full of sugar. Therefore, food blogger @cocohealth has re-worked the traditional recipe to create a more wholesome and diet-friendly alternative.
“I am yet to meet someone who doesn’t love banana bread, but unfortunately the store bought versions are ladened with sugar and butter,” she insists. “Give my recipe a go; sugar, dairy and gluten free – you can satisfy your cravings without the guilt!”
If you’re more of the sweet tooth, adjust the recipe according to personal preference by adding a couple of tablespoons of honey or extra sweetener. Enjoy topped with tahini and a drizzle of rice malt syrup or peanut butter.
3 mashed ripe bananas (optional extra banana to slice on top.
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 tbsp Natvia natural sweetener or Stevia
1/4 cup walnuts, crushed
1 cup almond meal
1 cup buckwheat flour (can omit and sub for extra cup almond meal)
1/4 cup almond milk
1/2 tsp baking powder + 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- Mix in a bowl bananas, oil, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, lemon juice and eggs.
- Stir in the almond meal, buckwheat flour, walnuts and Natvia/Stevia.
- If mixture is too thick, add milk gradually as necessary.
- Slice an extra banana and arrange on top (optional).
- Pour mixture into a tin lined with baking paper and bake for approx 1 hr or until browned and cooked through.
Be sure to share your #WholesomeTreats with @shesaid and @cocohealth on Instagram!