Wonder what the celebs will be noshing on at the Governors Ball after the Oscars? Host your own Oscars party with some of celebrity chef Wolfgang Puck’s Oscars recipes, including healthy smoothie shots, decadent truffled mac and cheese and vegan chocolate cupcakes – perfect for Oscars host and vegan Ellen DeGeneres.
Power smoothie shots
Makes: 12 shots
6 leaves kale, ribs removed
4 large stalks celery, leaves trimmed
2 green apples, cut into wedges
1 medium organic English cucumber
1 cup packed baby spinach leaves
1-inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled
Juice all ingredients, stir well and serve right away.
Mac and cheese with black truffles
250g elbow macaroni
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
3 ½ cups milk
½ medium onion
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
A pinch of cayenne
3 tablespoons finely chopped black truffles
300g grated sharp aged white cheddar
90g grated gruyère
30g grated parmesan
2 drops black winter truffle oil
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup brioche bread crumbs
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Sliced fresh black truffles for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 175C. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the macaroni to al dente (about seven minutes). Strain and place on a lightly oiled sheet pan.
2. While the macaroni is cooking, in a separate pot, melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Continue to cook over low heat for four minutes stirring constantly. Add the milk, chopped truffles, onion and bay leaf. Simmer for 10 minutes before removing the onion and bay leaf.
3. Turn off the heat and add three quarters of the cheddar and all of the other cheeses. Season with salt and black pepper and fold in macaroni. Pour into a two-quart casserole dish and top with remaining cheddar.
4. Melt the butter in a sauté pan and toss bread crumbs and parsley to coat. Top the macaroni with the bread crumb mixture and bake for 30 minutes. Remove and let stand for five minutes. Serve with fresh shaved black truffles.
Gluten-free vegan chocolate cupcakes with almond cream frosting
For the cupcake
1 ¾ cups plain gluten-free baking flour
½ cup potato starch
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ cup arrowroot powder
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon xanthan gum powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup hot brewed dark-roast coffee
1 cup coconut oil
1 ⅓ cups agave nectar
¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
3 tablespoons vanilla extract
For the frosting
1 ½ cups plain or vanilla-flavored almond milk
¾ cup soy milk powder
¼ cup agave nectar
1 tablespoon coconut extract
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1½ cups coconut oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1. First, prepare the frosting. In the bowl of a food processor with a stainless-steel blade, combine the almond milk, soy milk powder, agave nectar, coconut extract and vanilla. Process for two minutes. Slowly add half of the coconut oil, then half of the lemon juice, then the remaining half of each. Continue processing until the mixture is blended. Pour into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until the frosting has firmed up enough to spread (about six hours).
2. Next, for the cupcakes, set a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 160C. Line two 12-cup muffin tins or four standard-sized six-cup muffin tins with paper cupcake liners.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, potato starch, cocoa powder, arrowroot, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt. Stir well with a wire whisk until thoroughly blended.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the hot coffee, coconut oil, agave nectar, applesauce and vanilla. Stir with a whisk until blended. Add the wet ingredient mixture all at once to the dry ingredients. Stir with a whisk until a smooth batter forms.
5. Pour batter into cups until each is nearly full. Bake on the middle rack. After 15 minutes, rotate the baking tins front to back. Continue baking until the cupcakes spring back when gently pressed at their centers, about seven minutes longer. Remove from the oven and leave in tins at room temperature for 20 minutes. Then, remove the cupcakes from the tins and leave on wire racks to cool completely. Frost the cupcakes when they have cooled.
What are you serving at your Oscars party?