Yoghurt, Pistachio and Orange Cake Recipe
This lovely light yoghurt cake is flavoured with pistachios and oranges and drizzled with a delicious yoghurt icing, the perfect weekend baking project to serve for afternoon tea.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 50-60 minutes
100g whole pistachio nuts, shelled
1/2 cup organic self raising flour
1 1/4 cups fine semolina
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup (180g) five:am natural organic yoghurt or Vanilla Bean organic yoghurt
3 organic free range eggs
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 oranges, zest and juice
Pistachio nuts, to decorate
1/2 cup pure icing sugar
3/4 cup (180g) five:am Vanilla Bean organic yoghurt
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add pistachios, self raising flour, semolina, bicarbonate soda and sugar, mix well to combine.
3. In a separate bowl whisk together the five:am natural organic yoghurt, eggs and oil.
4. Add orange juice and zest to egg mixture.
5. Whilst stirring the flour mixture, slowly add yoghurt mixture until well combined. Rest for 5 minutes.
6. Spoon mixture into a greased 24cm cake tin. Bake in oven for 50-60 minutes or until cooked.
7. Allow cake to rest in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
8. When cool, drizzle yoghurt icing over cake and decorate with pistachio nuts.
1. Mix icing sugar and five:am Vanilla Bean organic yoghurt together until well combined.
2. Allow to thicken in the refrigerator for 30 to 60 minutes before spreading on cake.
Tip: Keep the frosted cake out of sunlight or heat, as this frosting easily melts.
What are you baking this weekend?
Julia has lived and worked in London, Amsterdam, and New York, and is obsessed with food. She's either cooking or thinking about what to eat next. Follow Julia on Twitter.