Your room-by-room cleaning checklist
Is your house all cleared out? Then it’s probably time to clean up! Follow this comprehensive cleaning checklist to make sure you leave behind a sparkling house and get back that all-important rental bond from your real estate agent or landlord.
Living areas and bedrooms
- Remove any nails, picture hooks or screws left in the walls. Fill in any holes and paint over, where necessary.
- Dust skirting boards and window ledges.
- Clean the windows inside and out.
- Give walls a quick wipe down and remove any scuff marks.
- Polish door knobs and wipe down doors.
- Organise a professional steam clean or thoroughly vacuum carpets.
- Mop wooden floor boards.
Top tip: Use a brush attachment on the vacuum cleaner to clean the creases of Roman blinds.
- Disinfect countertops and surface areas.
- Empty out cabinets and drawers and wipe clean.
- Scrub the oven, inside and out. Remove shelving, drip pans and burners and wash clean.
- Wipe off any grease or dust from the exhaust fan.
- Empty the dishwasher filter and run a cycle to get rid of all residual food.
- Turn all the taps off and wipe the sink clean of any soap scum.
Top tip: Keep cleaning supplies in one bucket so you can easily move around the house without backtracking.
- Rinse and remove soap scum from the bathtub, screen and shower recess.
- Scrub wall tiles and grouting with bleach.
- Clean the toilet.
- Empty vanity drawers and wipe clean.
- Wipe down the exhaust fan.
- Wipe off the sink and countertop.
- Clean the mirror with glass spray and paper towels.
- Wash or replace the shower curtain.
Top tip: For stubborn rings around the bathtub, use a cream cleaner and light abrasive sponge.
- Pull out any weeds and mow the grass.
- Scrub stains on decking or stairs.
- Clear out leaves, twigs and other muck from the gutters.
- Sweep outside porches and paths.
- Make sure you have cleaned out the shed and garage. Give them a good sweep and remember to return any locks and keys.
Top tip: If you can get your hands on a leaf blower, this is a great tool for clearing leaves out of the garden and effortlessly sweeping dirt from decks and garage floors.
Now that you’re done and dusted, don’t forget to organise your utilities. Keep it quick and simple with EnergyAustralia’s estimate tool.